More changes at WERS

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Tue Aug 20 07:27:34 EDT 2013

A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> I hope it isn't a move to take over the station the >way Boston
> University did many years ago with WBUR.

I wonder if any of the students at Emerson will organize a group to protest
the changes. I recall several years ago when WUML Lowell partnered with the
Lowell Sun for a news and information morning show plus the plan to have a
talk show with Christopher Lydon produced there. Many students and alumni of
U Mass Lowell (and U Lowell/Lowell Tech alums too) who worked/enjoyed
WUML/WLTI spoke up about these changes and the fear of losing those hours
and more. Both the morning show and the Lydon show didn't last too long and
for now all is well at WUML. Only person who remained on the U Mass Lowell
payroll from that fiasco is Bob Ellis, the morning show host. After the show
ended, he became the assistant sports press relations person and still calls
U Mass Lowell hockey games on WUML (also simulcast on WCAP) as he has for
several years.

Mark Watson