Digital TV reception

M. Casey map@mapinternet.com
Wed Aug 7 10:59:43 EDT 2013

Drop-outs can be a big problem. But, from what I've experienced, the video
dropout problem is equal to the audio. And, most viewers will not tolerate
much of either. It goes back to the either the stations' lack of power
and/or in a few cases, reciever sensitivity.

Note that drop-outs during hard rain, just like satellite tv rain drop-outs,
are a problem for fringe area digital OTA reception.

Mark Casey
.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan.Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net>
To: "Garrett Wollman" <wollman@bimajority.org>; "M. Casey"
<map@mapinternet.com>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: Digital TV reception

I've been watching OTA DTV for several years now and I believe that if some
clever software fix could be applied to OTA DTV receivers to reduce
the number and duration of audio dropouts, the effective range of the
digital broadcasts would increase dramatically. For following program
content, audio is usually much more important than video. Unfortunately,
from my experience, audio dropouts are both more frequent and longer in
duration than video dropouts. If the severity of audio dropouts could be
decreased, I think a lot of viewers would be willing to accept more severe
video dropouts.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367