Coverage Of Boston Marathon Explosion

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Mon Apr 15 21:44:25 EDT 2013

On Apr 15, 2013, at 5:26 PM, Mark Watson <markwats@comcast.net> wrote:

> Radio coverage of the Boston Marathon explosion incident (as of 3:45PM when I was on my way home) found that all the CBS owned FM's were simulcasting WBZ radio's coverage. WBUR was simulcasting WCVB's coverage. Lowell's WCAP was simulcasting WCVB along with breaking for local coverage, including live phone interviews with a couple of Lowell area residents who were near the scene. Howie Carr was hosting live coverage on WRKO.
>
> On the TV side, WBZ, WCVB, WFXT, WHDH, WMUR and NECN in wall to wall mode.
>
> My thoughts and prayers to all affected by this horrible incident.

I was unaware that this happened until shortly before 8PM.  I was sleeping most of the day since I had worked the overnight shift, then did some yard work when I got up.  I was listening to WUMB on-and-off in the late afternoon and evening, I did hear one of their announcers mention that it was marathon day, but there was no mention that anything unusual had happened.

Only when I got in the car shortly before 8 to do some errands I tuned to WBZ (AM) since I had not heard any news all day.  I came in in the middle of them talking about something that happened, but since I came in on this in the middle I did not really find out what happened until the did the headlines at 8.

Eventually as I was going store-to-store I got so fed up with Dan Rea and his stupidity (he was speculating on why this happened based on the fact that other similar things had happened in the month of April in past years) that I went to Sirius to listen to some music figuring that I would get more of the details later as they came out.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH