Could this be the end of broadcasting as we know it?

Paul Hopfgarten pariho@mail.com
Wed Apr 10 11:47:05 EDT 2013

I also had a B&W TV (panasonic 9") and the good part is that living in Randolph MA back then, I could get WJAR and WPRI in better than WBZ and WCVB.....UHF was always tough, a lot of multipath on 38 and 56 (27 usually actually came in well). WTEV (6) was always difficult....guess Tiverton RI was JUST far enough away, whereas the Rehobeth-Randoph pathway was 'clean and green". (And 44 was usually crap, even in Randolph)...WMUR 9 was snow-filled adventure, but if both WCVB and WTEV (or WPRI...I forget which year they swapped affiliations...the first time) pre-empted..that's what I had to watch for ABC shows...

And the ocassional skip (WCSH on 6 the most common) and getting WCBS (albeith snow filled) when WGBH signed off back then.

I did the butter knife thing to0....and the pliers to change the VHF channet one the knob was broken (That got a serious workout)

-Paul H
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul B. Walker, Jr.
Sent: 04/10/13 08:55 AM
Subject: Re: Could this be the end of broadcasting as we know it?

Maybe I'm of the minority, different... when I was younger, I had a black and white antenna tv in my bedroom. I can't tell you how much tin foil I went through and how many butter knives I bent unscrewing or screwing in new antennas. Paul On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:50 AM, Garrett Wollman <wollman@bimajority.org>wrote: > <<On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 02:23:12 -0400, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> said: > > > Most of us have fond memories of radio and TV from 40-50 years ago...I > > ponder what it will be like 40 years from now when most of us will be > > watching from above. > > <snip> > > Most people under 40 have never watched, let alone owned, a > black-and-white TV. > > -GAWollman >