Could this be the end of broadcasting as we know it?

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Apr 10 02:50:34 EDT 2013

<<On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 02:23:12 -0400, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> said:

> Most of us have fond memories of radio and TV from 40-50 years ago...I
> ponder what it will be like 40 years from now when most of us will be
> watching from above.

*Some* of us are just barely 40 years old and have no memories of
radio and TV from that long ago.

My earliest radio memory is "Millard the Mallard's Household Hints" on
W*R*VA, for what it's worth.  My mother even had the book they gave
away to promote it.  And my earliest TV memory is watching "Sesame
Street" on WETA (although I had no idea that's what it was at the
time).  Next after that is the closing ceremonies of the 1980 Winter
Olympics on WEZF-TV on the five-inch Sears black-and-white TV in my
parents' bedroom.  The following August we moved to our new house on
the mountain and couldn't get 22, 33, or 57 any more.  (But we could
get WNPI 18 out of Watertown, not to mention all of Montreal.)  We got
a VCR in 1984, a Fisher-branded Sanyo with set-screw analog tuning and
two-track stereo audio (this was before "VHS HiFi" helical-scan
audio).

Most people under 40 have never watched, let alone owned, a
black-and-white TV.

-GAWollman