Could this be the end of broadcasting as we know it?

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 02:23:12 EDT 2013

WBZ used to claim 38 states - pretty much the entire Eastern time zone and
most of the Central. Today I would put the number closer to 30.

What made WBZ special was the directional beaming west - the skywave just
killed KDKA and WHO in the Great Lakes region and Ontario and that was
mirrored by where Glick's calls came from, 1030 was also very strong in the
eastern Carolinas and the eastern coast of Florida. I can remember
listening to Bob Raleigh in Ft. Lauderdale. However you could not get the
station on the Gulf Coast.

The NY stations and the Chicago stations tended to cancel each other out in
much of the Northeast and my memory is that in Boston WCFL was the
strongest Chicago signal ( it was directional east ) and WLS, WMAQ and WBBM
would fight with WCBS, WNBC and WABC.  Growing up in Cambridge the
most reliable out of market signals were WKBW (1520), WPTR (1540) and WBAL
(1090).  The NYC stations were usually solid by some nights because of
weather they were mush.

Most of us have fond memories of radio and TV from 40-50 years ago...I
ponder what it will be like 40 years from now when most of us will be
watching from above.