Rhode Island names and other odd naming conventions

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Sun Apr 7 19:24:24 EDT 2013

On Apr 7, 2013, at 8:52 AM, Paul Anderson <paulranderson@charter.net> wrote:

> Maybe, then the MA 3 name from Boston to Sagamore could finally be retired.  I doubt if anyone follows 3 approaching Boston to its end at the BU bridge, where US 3 starts.

I was going to say that MA 3 ends at the NH state line, but then before I made a fool of myself (again?) I picked up a map and noticed that the part of route 3 north of Boston is US 3.  But I wonder if anyone other than the map-makers and the nit-pickers here really cares.

I think that the reason for wanting to make the road south of Braintree designated as an interstate is that MA would then get federal money to maintain the road.  But  of course the mile markers would need to be replaced on 93 all the way up to the NH state line, and that could cause some confusion for a while to emergency responders and radio-dispatched tow-truck operators. Notice how I managed to work radio into this post. :-)

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH