WNSH-AM 1570 To Boost Power To 50K?

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Fri Sep 28 14:39:28 EDT 2012

WNSH is the strongest Boston area station in the daytime here in South
Yarmouth about 2 miles east of Exit 8 of Route 6.  WRKO and WROL are
almost as strong, then WEZE and WBZ a tad farther down the list.  The
metrowest stations that are all-land-route (650, 850, 890, 1060, 1200,
1330, 1600) are decidedly inferior in the S-meter versus wattage
department.  1150, 1470, and 1510 are in the transition zone where they
catch a little piece of Quincy Bay and/or a bit of water east of the
Manomet Bluffs on the route to here.  Once you get to the bearing of
680 and more easterly, the signal efficiency goes way up.  800 from
Lawrence (Andover) blasts in, the Medford stations (590, 1090, 1430)
ditto, Lynn-Saugus (950, 1230, 1360) etc.  So no wonder that WNSH-1570
is screamer-loud here.  Even Portland 560 and 970 sound like locals,
far stronger than anything more than a few miles west or southwest of
Boston.

Too bad for WNSH that English is the prevalent language on Cape Cod.
Also, looking at the age demographic hereabouts, WNSH would do better
to relay WJIB.

990 RI has been off the air the last few times I've played around with
my Perseus receiver during the daytime doing antenna-directivity
testing / benchmarking.  Montreal is usually what I get on 990, over CT
and PA during the daytime and mixed (mostly) with CBY Newfoundland at
night (with a bit of Rochester, NY 'backgrounding').  The RI station,
when on, was famously weak in every direction I heard them: poorer than
630/790/920 whether I was in metro-Boston or Cape Cod or Worcester or
Putnam, CT or Newport, RI.  Poorer in Newport than WINS-1010 NY even.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
On 9/27/2012 5:53 PM, Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:

> Even though the signal difference will be minimal, maybe building
> penetration will be a bit better?
>
> Plus, 50KW looks good to local, regional and national ad
reps/agencies.

> "Highest power allowed by law" they can claiom.
>
> But we all know where "50KW on paper" got WALE 990.

Is that station still on the air? I remember some years ago when they
called me and offered to put me on the air for a fee. I never found out
how much because I had read the discussions here and knew that its
signal didn't reach anywhere near where I would have wanted to reach.
When I said that, the caller asked if any other station would put me on
the air. Stupid question I thought, since I hadn't actually asked.

-- A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com