Harvey Sheldon resurfaces after ~50 years

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Sep 27 16:56:18 EDT 2012

Most likely only two people on this list--Joe Ross and me--remember Harvey
Sheldon, the licensee of WUPY (later WUPI) 105.3 in Lynn. I think WUPY/WUPI
lived its entire short life in the early '60s, although its tower
(reportedly somewhere near the Kowloon Restaurant) survived as a
non-broadcast communications tower until its demise a few years ago. Some
people have even remarked that WUPY/I played good music--big-band
jazz,(something that I absolutely don't remember). Well, Sheldon has
survived--a
testament to his vegetarian life style, I guess--and is the
subject of a thread on the Radio-Info (now RadioDiscussions) Philadelphia
board. He is reportedly a Philadelphia native and is running an Internet
station that plays big-band jazz. I hope his Internet station sounds a lot
better than did the WUPY/I that I remember, which has to be the most
sloppily programmed, amateurish "commercial" station I can ever remember
hearing.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367