WENH - WGBH and Lawrence Welk

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sun Sep 23 09:24:03 EDT 2012

Sean Smyth wrote:

> My mom is one of those people; she's never donated to Channel 2 and has
> donated repeatedly to Channel 11. Six at night on Saturdays, we know she
> has the next hour blocked out. I haven't had the heart to tell her what's
> about to happen.
>
> I do wonder if Channels 2/44 see Lawrence Welk as too "low brow" for their
> audiences. What is 44 airing on Saturday nights nowadays?

I don't know what Channel 44 airs Saturday nights, but if I'm home I
occasionally tune in to Lawrence Welk on NHPTV. My parents never missed Welk
when it originally aired and I remember watching with them. I agree if
Channel 2 or 44 doesn't air the Welk shows they will certainly hear about
it, both via phone calls/e-mails and in their "wallet" (folks not
contributing).

Another reason NHPTV will be missed on Comcast will be the several UNH
hockey games they broadcast in season. I'm sure UNH alums/hockey fans in the
Bay State will miss these broadcasts, if indeed they continue under this new
arrangement with WGBH.

Mark Watson