WENH - WGBH and Lawrence Welk

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psualum.com
Fri Sep 21 17:59:41 EDT 2012

Kevin wrote:
> For the past 20 years one of the most watched WENH programs in Boston has
> been Lawrence Welk reruns on Saturday nights. Now apparently WENH will
> vanish from Comcast in all of Mass ( which will not play well in the
> Merrimack Valley ) but now it causes a problem for WGBH - do they clear
> Welk now on either 2 or 44?
>
> WGBH never had to deal with Welk knowing that WENH via cable made it
> available. The paradox is that Welk generated significant donations to
> NHPTV.
>
> The reality is there are many older retired folks with checkbooks that will
> be upset if Welk vanishes.

My mom is one of those people; she's never donated to Channel 2 and has donated repeatedly to Channel 11. Six at night on Saturdays, we know she has the next hour blocked out. I haven't had the heart to tell her what's about to happen.

I do wonder if Channels 2/44 see Lawrence Welk as too "low brow" for their audiences. What is 44 airing on Saturday nights nowadays? It's been years since I watched 44 at all, but outside of the state legislature, it seemed to be mostly PBS reruns (and maybe BBC shows?).