WCVB-TV 5.2 Testing

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Thu Sep 20 17:14:46 EDT 2012

<<On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:12:08 -0400, "Jim Hall" <aerie.ma@comcast.net> said:

> "news and info", but I don't think they do the same for Channel 2. I wonder
> if the announcement you received about dropping Channel 11 applies to all
> Comcast towns:

It applies to all Comcast systems in Massachusetts, and the reverse
change (dropping WGBH and WGBX) happens on Comcast systems in New
Hampshire.  This is a result of the deal by which WGBH is taking over
programming and master control operation (but not management) of
NHPTV.  NHPTV is going to be running the same schedule as WGBH now,
except for a minimal set of local programming, and NHPTV Explore will
be more like one of the standard PBS subchannel offerings.  (I forget
whether it will be like Create or like World -- I think the former.)

NHPTV sent out an insert in the latest mailing to all members in
Massachusetts saying that this would happen, and Scott mentioned it in
NERW a few months ago when the deal was announced.

I always preferred to support NHPTV rather than WGBH since I felt that
NHPTV would actually use the money in ways that I wanted to support,
rather than self-aggrandizement.  But when the State of New Hampshire
cut off all funding for NHPTV, they were left with few options other
than to radically cut costs.  The deal with WGBH includes the changes
to cable carriage and also pressuring NHPTV members in Massachusetts
to give money to WGBH instead.  I think I'll just stop giving money to
public television altogether.

-GAWollman