The Dave Maynard Spin: Dave Maynard, Suzan Franks: 9780978797485: Amazon.com: Books

Jim Hall aerie.ma@comcast.net
Mon Sep 17 08:31:38 EDT 2012

I was also disappointed with the book, for the same reasons you outlined. I
was expecting an insider's view of life at WBZ, and it was much more
oriented toward the celebrities he met over the course of his career. I
guess that point of view would be more interesting to the general reader,
though, which is probably why she took that approach. Maybe in the 2nd
edition she can add a chapter for us radio geeks :)

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Don
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:53 PM
To: B-R-I
Subject: The Dave Maynard Spin: Dave Maynard, Suzan Franks: 9780978797485:
Amazon.com: Books

Has anyone read this book about Dave Maynard?

I just finished it.  I was a bit dissappointed as I was hoping for some of
his insights into broadcasting, his career, Westinghouse, dealing with the
different brass over the years at WBZ, and to what he attributed his folksy
success, his move to overnights, his move of Community Auditions from WBZ to
WCVB, and maybe what his personal and family life was like having 'dad'
being "Maynard in the Morning" (he had 8 kids and step-kids).

Instead, it's full of Dave Maynard stories of some of the stars he has met
over the years...and politicians, and some of the recipes, anecdotes and
travels.