In Quebec - here we go again

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Sep 7 12:05:29 EDT 2012

<<On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 01:43:27 -0400, A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> I'm not sure that even Liberal governments always cave to the PQ.

We're getting a bit far afield from the subject of this list, so I'd
like to limit the discussion on this issue to one more round, unless
we can bring it back to broadcasting.

The thing that's important to keep in mind is that in Canada, the
provincial parties are separate from the federal parties.[1] The PLQ
(Quebec liberals) are a center-to-slightly-right-of-center party;
their leader, Jean Charest (who lost his seat in the last election),
used to be a federal *Conservative* MP, cabinet minister, and deputy
PM.  You have similar divides in the other provinces, which often have
a different set of competitive political parties than at the federal
level.

-GAWollman

[1] Formally, that's true in the U.S. as well, but the national and
state party organizations are much more similar in ideology and
closely coordinate their activities and branding.