WINS anchors mispronouncing words

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Sep 1 02:18:30 EDT 2012

On 9/1/2012 12:38 AM, Chris Hall wrote:

> Listening to WINS today and heard several mispronounced words including my favorite cringe of all time NUKE-KU-LER, the anchor babe mispronounced
> it three times in one story. The broadcast industry once had high standards, now even companies like CBS and their programmers pay zero
> attention to this type of error, they go on and on. The great legends of CBS News must be turning in their graves.
> You hear this stuff from PBS all the way down to local operations. When someone comes into a market and they no longer instructed
> about local pronunciations. This was a must years ago, now it is just another very common embarrassment for all concerned.

Yes, I remember when I started announcing at WMUA, I was told right away
that the H is silent in "Amherst."  And I remember the UPI teletype
occasionally had a pronunciation guide for various foreign names and
other difficult words.

Even earlier, when I was in high school, the newscasts on Top 40 WCOP
knew the difference between a head of state and a head of government.
They even used terms like "Chancellor of the Exchequer," which news
reports today tend to call "finance minister."  No standards any more!

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com