FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai says it is time to rewrite rules for AM

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Oct 1 23:28:25 EDT 2012

On 9/26/2012 2:18 PM, Laurence Glavin wrote:

In Brockton, two AM station owners have to install long-wire antennas
for their outlets because the properties on which the exisitng towers
sit were not part of the sale. And here we are late in the construction
season, and Nashua's WSMN-AM 1590 for all I know is no closer to
completion than it ever was.

Are long-wire antennas still allowed for AM stations (other than some
very old grandfathered operations)?  To install a new one, wouldn't FCC
approval be required?  Wouldn't a newly-installed long-wire antenna
produce a different directional pattern than the previous tower(s)?  How
would a station deal with that?

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com