FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai says it is time to rewrite rules for AM

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Oct 1 23:24:26 EDT 2012

On 9/26/2012 2:18 PM, Laurence Glavin wrote:

> It's been a long time since LTAR was heard on WJIB-AM, but I dimly
> recall a discussion of a new AM antenna design that was supposed to
> reduce skywave. I don't recall that it was the same type of AM
> transmitting antenna that was being tried in Egypt (the country, not
> the village in North Scituate, MA) which apparently was designed to
> have a smaller footprint than the typical medium-wave tower. It's
> possible that if such a design existed, the current day economics of
> broadcasting just aren't conducive to building-out new facilities for
> AM stations from scratch. (The WSRO upgrade was accomplished with
> existing towers). In Brockton, two AM station owners have to install
> long-wire antennas for their outlets because the properties on which
> the exisitng towers sit were not part of the sale. And here we are
> late in the construction season, and Nashua's WSMN-AM 1590 for all I
> know is no closer to completion than it ever was. ----- No virus found
> Virus Database: 2441/5301 - Release Date: 09/30/12

I do remember a discussion on LTAR about a new AM antenna design.  I
don't remember skywave reduction as one of its goals or properties, I
thought it was just something that was supposed to be easier and cheaper
to construct.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com