WBZ should hang it's head in shame

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu May 31 16:57:14 EDT 2012

If your relatives didn't know that there was ANY news station in this
market, they don't know about WBUR or WGBH (FM). If that's the case, I
guess it should come as no surprise that they don't know about WBZ.
Maybe there would be a market in Boston for a "no sentence longer than
five words; no story longer than four sentences" kind of news station,
but the popularity of the NPR programming, especially Morning Edition
and All Things Considered, suggests that, here in Boston, there is
more of a market for the long-form product than there is in, say,
Tampa. You can think of WBZ, KYW, and WCBS (AM) as the commercial
short-form versions of the long-form noncommercial NPR product. And,
knowing your politics, I can't resist this comment: I should have
expected you to ask for a totally dumbed-down news presentation. It's
undoubtedly more than they had when dinosaurs walked the earth when
you were a kid. However, I think it's time that you got with the
program. The average IQ here is probably pretty close to 100, not the
single digits you find in a lot of places in the US.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Hall" <chris2526@comcast.net>
To: <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:40 PM
Subject: WBZ should hang it's head in shame

Most of us have very fond feelings for WBZ but it is 2012 not 1985.
KISS-108 sounded great in 1985 and it would be great nostalgia but it
would not be viable CHR in 2012. While almost all the other CBS Radio
owned and programmed news outlets have moved along with the times WBZ
is stagnant in the past to its detriment and that is sad. They get
away with it because there is no competition, Do you think CBS would
sit back and allow WBZ-TV to look and sound like they did in
1987.......never. Someone in the organization would be wise to bring
in the programmers from WINS and WCBS before it is too late.
I recently wrote on Radio Info of being at a family Christening loaded
with both men and women in the 20 to 35 year age group. Since at the
time it was a hot topic I asked around if anyone listened to WBZ all
news radio.  The answerers ranged from I didn’t know there was an all
news station......you mean  channel 4? (WBZ-TV).......  is it closer
on the dial to WEEI or the Sports Hub. They do not have the fast paced
product that this age group would listen to.
I asked my niece (32) and nephews (28) and (30) , the three of them
agreed that WBZ was one of the stations that Nana and Grampy always
had on in the car whenever they took them out for a ride or to
McDonalds over 20 years ago. Nana died in 1999, Grampy left us in
2007. If WBZ continues to keep their head in the sand it will be at
their own peril, even if they were to move the current product to FM
it may be too late for the long run.