pirate query

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun May 27 19:57:03 EDT 2012

Forgive me if this has been discussed recently.  I am still curious
about the situation with "Touch 106.1" and everyone I ask at the
newspapers gives me a different answer.  I know that this little station
is still very popular in the black community, especially in Roxbury,
Dorchester & Mattapan.  While it's sad that a city the size of Boston
has no full-time, full-power black station, and while I certainly am
happy Touch 106.1 appears to be successful, I was under the impression
it's still not legal... at one point, the owner said he did have a
license, but other stories back when the discussion first came up said
his station was a pirate, for all intents and purposes.  Perhaps I am
missing a piece of information here.  So, does Touch have a legal
license or not?  If not, how has the owner managed to stay on the air
without one for such a long time without the FCC stepping in?