"It's the programming, stupid!"

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Sat May 19 02:15:38 EDT 2012

Those of us who are 50 or older know what AM is and what it used to mean.

PPM for better or worse is really hurting stations like WBZ-AM where the
cume is dropping like a rock.

The day will come when WBZ-AM takes over one of the CBS signals - ( most
likely WZLX or WODS ) - This is what CBS is doing in so many markets.

People born after 1980 just know FM - that is simply the way it is. Sports
in Boston did keep AM in play for many the last 20 years but now all 4
teams are on FM in the Boston market.

I don't buy for a second that WFNX was losing $$$$ as they seem to have a
healthy stable of clients - but Mindich was made an offer he could not
refuse. He is in his late 60's and he paid his dues and wants to cash out.

We all love the history of AM but the generation today could not care less
that WBZ can be heard in 30+ states. It is what it is.