WFNX sold to Clear Channel

Peter Murray peterwmurray@gmail.com
Wed May 16 14:58:46 EDT 2012

I would be surprised if they were to move the WFNX calls to 92.1 and use
that as part of an online presence - that is probably wishful thinking.

I suspect Steve Mindich received an offer (solicited or otherwise) for WFNX
that he could not refuse - and I am certain that Clear Channel has a
specific use in mind for 101.7, which for a class-A FM, I always thought
got out pretty well. I remember listening to them (quite often) almost all
the way out to I-84, though much past Auburn the signal was certainly not
above radio-geek-grade...

According to the maps at Radio-Locator, WFEX' 170W is nearly as potent as
WFNX' 1700W. Of course, 230m of additional HAAT makes all the difference -
but 170W with not too much population within the 60dBu is a tough sell to
advertisers. But as always, if the content is compelling, people will go to
great lengths to listen!

-Peter