Boston.com will bring WFNX staffers back online

Peter Murray peterwmurray@gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 18:10:30 EDT 2012

Internet-only radio certainly works - there are stations that are doing
fine that are stream-only. The better question is how many were formerly
FM/AM broadcast outlets? I suspect the number of successful transitions is
low - but that may be due to a lack of good content (or content/brand
management) rather than just economics.

The big trouble with streaming is that there is no economy of scale. ISPs
don't have much incentive to provide support for multicast, so for every
listener, the stream provider originates another instance of that stream. I
have seen data (provided by a large public radio station outfit) that shows
that it costs them approximately 20 times more to deliver station
programming to a streaming listener than it does to reach an on-air
listener.

For an outfit like WFNX to distinguish itself to their international
audience (without a FM broadcast to anchor them), they need to offer
compelling content - in their case, it will be the alternative rock that
established their brand, plus the people (in the form of DJs) that gives
them personality. Their identity and association with Boston is important,
though their advertising certainly can be focused to the English-speaking
world, rather than just areas within their current FM coverage area.

Ultimately, it will continue as long as it is financially viable. How they
monetize that is up to them (advertising in the stream, dedicated listening
app for $0.99, whatever). They need to do everything they can to keep
whatever momentum they have now. Losing some key personalities (Julie
Kramer, Adam-12) doesn't help, but headliner people are expensive.

-Peter