Boston.com will bring WFNX staffers back online

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Jun 25 16:25:11 EDT 2012

On 6/25/2012 1:56 PM, Sean Smyth wrote:
> Steve O. wrote:
>
>> Are they volunteering their services?  I highly doubt that a webstream is
>> going to generate enough revenue to support a paid staff.  The Globe isn't
>> exactly flush with cash to subsidize this venture either.

I still wonder if internet radio really works-- Sam Kopper tried to
bring back WBCN as an online station, but it gets very little media buzz
and I wonder how many people actually do listen to it.  Sam of course
will say he has a lot of  listeners, and he is to be commended for
trying.  But the issue of monetizing internet radio is still a question,
as is how you can accurately  measure listenership, and how you can grow
the audience-- while we on this list are generally in possession of good
internet connections and a knowledge of what's out there to listen to,
there are still many folks who either cannot listen (while they are at
work or in the car), or they lack the sufficiently fast (or affordable)
internet connections.  I assume the WFNX folks will get some
compensation for their time, but once they go on-line, will Boston.com
be able to effectively promote this venture, or will it turn out to be
too costly and cumbersome to maintain?