Over digitalized and processed music

Peter Murray peterwmurray@gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 11:35:17 EDT 2012

No radio station with competent engineering staff regularly originates
audio that is compressed. Audio is stored and played off the computer in
uncompressed form - for a number of reasons. The air chain from playback
system to transmitter can have a number of conversion points, and the use
of various compression techniques can lead to highly distorted audio
because of cascading codecs. MP3 is particularly susceptible to this.

In any case, hi-fi pop music is not going to be found on FM or satellite,
for the most part. If you want to hear uncompressed full-fidelity pop from
yesteryear, you will want to go get your CD's out of that back closet.
Broadcast audio is processed to sound best in the broadest number of places
- including your car, with its high noise floor.

In any case, there is not much uncompressed full-fidelity pop today (even
off a purchased CD), with all of the digital manipulation that happens now.

Hi-fi is not dead - it is just not going to be found on today's broadcast
media. The technical argument could be made that it never was available via
analog broadcast methods, but then we would have to technically define
hi-fi!

-Peter