40 years ago - Boston became a 2 newspaper town

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Jun 20 00:57:42 EDT 2012

On 6/19/2012 7:58 PM, Anthony Abruzzese wrote:

> Those street numbers are closer together than you might think. They
> aren't separated by city blocks.
>
> The old WHDH studios were next door to BC High, at the bottom of the
> inbound ramp up to Kosciusko (sp?) Circle. The Globe is on the the
> other side of Morrissey Blvd, between the bottom of the outbound ramp
> and the turn around/entrance  for Umass/Boston and the Kennedy library.
>
> In the mid-70s, some people used  to walk from the T to UMB, though
> most used the shuttle. You could see each building from the other
> quite easily since the area wasn't as built up as it is now.

Then it sounds like WHDH was indeed across the street from the Globe, if
not directly across, pretty close.  I still think that when that much
money is involved, adult businessmen are more interested in the
financials than in going "nya, nya" to a rival.  But if the financials
worked out, and the site was across from the Globe, that may well have
been icing on the cake for that location.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com