40 years ago - Boston became a 2 newspaper town

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Jun 19 15:47:54 EDT 2012

On 6/19/2012 9:48 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> I arrived in Boston in May 1956. IIRC, WHDH-TV didn't sign on until at
> least several months afterward (I have no problem with the idea that
> the date was November '57).

I was in 7th grade at the time, and my recollection is that it came on
just before school broke for Thanksgiving.

> My recollection is that WHDH-TV signed on
> from what had been the WHDH (AM) studios (which I believe were on St
> James Ave). Part of those studios were converted into a cramped TV
> studio. It was billed as an interim location but I can't recall
> whether larger studios were built before WHDH-TV was forced to go dark
> and was replaced by WCVB.

No, WHDH-TV was on Morrissey Boulevard for most of its existence. Its
studios then became the Channel 56 studios, at least until Channel 56
was taken over by Channel 7.

> Weren't the first WCVB studios at the
> current location--on the west side of Route 128 in Needham? The
> WHDH-TV transmitter was where you said--on what today is the FM-128
> tower in Newton. The WCVB transmitter was also where it is today--on
> the WBZ-TV tower in Needham.

Right.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx: 617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com