40 years ago - Boston became a 2 newspaper town

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Jun 19 09:48:15 EDT 2012

I arrived in Boston in May 1956. IIRC, WHDH-TV didn't sign on until at
least several months afterward (I have no problem with the idea that
the date was November '57). My recollection is that WHDH-TV signed on
from what had been the WHDH (AM) studios (which I believe were on St
James Ave). Part of those studios were converted into a cramped TV
studio. It was billed as an interim location but I can't recall
whether larger studios were built before WHDH-TV was forced to go dark
and was replaced by WCVB. Weren't the first WCVB studios at the
current location--on the west side of Route 128 in Needham? The
WHDH-TV transmitter was where you said--on what today is the FM-128
tower in Newton. The WCVB transmitter was also where it is today--on
the WBZ-TV tower in Needham. The Herald would not sell or lease any of
its TV facilities to WCVB. Allegedly, by refusing to cooperate with
WCVB, the Herald was trying to force WCVB into bankruptcy before it
could go on the air. The story I heard is that the Herald came close
to succeeding in this endeavor.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367