Philco Phorum

Chris Hall chris2526@comcast.net
Mon Jun 18 01:38:07 EDT 2012

I seem to remember several members including Joseph Ross have early Philco radios, I belong to a site called  The Philco Phorum that
has everything Philco.  One of the new features available is download of 1941 and 1942 call letter tabs to replace any that you may be missing.
I have a beautiful 1937 Philco Art Deco console in my living room and on it are WORL, WJZ and WBZ. I am happy to be able to replace the four
that are missing. During the early 60’s I spent hours in a friends basement listening to this radio in Salem, Mass. When her mother went into a nursing home a few years ago they were kind enough to call and ask if I might want it. During the day it had near perfect reception of WABC, WNBC and WCBS. WINS, WHN and WNEW were also listenable. The radio has a huge tuned movable loop beneath the chassis. Sad how things have deteriorated.
The radio still works but needs power supply filters replaced, I would love to see what the NYC reception is like now. I live in a Salem, NH condo with RF garbage so bad in the interior I can barely get WBZ and have recently lost WJIB on a Bose clock radio near the bedroom window. When I bought this place in 1987 the AM dial was totally clean throughout, in the past five years it has become unusable, a very sad state of affairs