Globe: What happened to IGA or WGY in Boston?

Mark Casey map@mapinternet.com
Tue Jun 5 12:33:07 EDT 2012

IGA (Independent Grocer's Alliance) is still around and going strong with
over 5000 stores. They are mostly smaller community locally owned
Supermarkets. There's a modern IGA supermarket the next town over from me in
Monson, MA. It is Adams IGA and nearly was destroyed by the tornado on June
1, 2011, but was open again shortly.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill O'Neill" <billohno@gmail.com>
To: <boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: Globe: What happened to rock radio in Boston?

On 6/5/2012 9:51 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> In those days, in small--mostly rural--communities (at least in the
> northeast, but probably in the other parts of the country as well),
> there was a group of grocery stores (I would call them "markets," not
> supermarkets) known as IGA stores.

They're still around but not with their "IGA" oval logo out front (like
the one of my youth in the Town-a-Dracut on Lakeview Ave growing up. It
was across from the junior high school building. IIRC, snow caved in the
ceiling and then it sold-out.

Today, it operates much like the Tru-Value and other hardware stores do
as affiliations.

IGA is a sponsor of Red Sox Radio.  At least here in Vermont there seem
to be rotating tags on a co-op spot on WDEV (550//96.1), one including
Greg's Meat Market (6-8 aisle market) in Middlebury that I heard the
other day. Caught me by surprise.

Bill O'Neill