Globe: What happened to rock radio in Boston?

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:12:32 EDT 2012

On 6/5/2012 9:51 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:
> In those days, in small--mostly rural--communities (at least in the
> northeast, but probably in the other parts of the country as well),
> there was a group of grocery stores (I would call them "markets," not
> supermarkets) known as IGA stores.

They're still around but not with their "IGA" oval logo out front (like
the one of my youth in the Town-a-Dracut on Lakeview Ave growing up. It
was across from the junior high school building. IIRC, snow caved in the
ceiling and then it sold-out.

Today, it operates much like the Tru-Value and other hardware stores do
as affiliations.

IGA is a sponsor of Red Sox Radio.  At least here in Vermont there seem
to be rotating tags on a co-op spot on WDEV (550//96.1), one including
Greg's Meat Market (6-8 aisle market) in Middlebury that I heard the
other day. Caught me by surprise.

Bill O'Neill