equal time controversy

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Jun 5 14:08:58 EDT 2012

On 6/5/2012 3:20 AM, Bob Nelson wrote:
> --Keith Olbermann was noted for having pretty much only left-leaning
> guests on. Should he have been forced to put on conservatives too?
> (Yes it was on a cable channel not broadcast...)

Not sure that's what I was asking.  Keith, like the folks on Fox's
Morning show, was overtly political.   The morning hosts on Fox are so
political they aired an anti-Obama attack video that their own producers
designed.  But these shows never claimed to be "all news."  They are
opinion and should be left alone.  However, contrast them with Andrea
Mitchell on MSNBC or Brett Baier on Fox, who do in fact have all
viewpoints and treat guests courteously.  So, yes it can be done and
done in an interesting way.  My query is whether news-talk radio
stations should only favor one side-- in Milwaukee, they are in fact all
conservative.  I have no problem with conservative talkers who do
political talk.  My concern is with stations that claim to be at least
partly news.