equal time controversy

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 03:20:32 EDT 2012

--Keith Olbermann was noted for having pretty much only left-leaning
guests on. Should he have been forced to put on conservatives too?
(Yes it was on a cable channel not broadcast...)

--In his book Muzzled, Juan Williams said that while right-wingers dominate on
Fox News, "you can hear all sides on Fox" (even if, for example, that means
O'Reilly vs.Mary Catherine Ham vs. Juan Williams) And while Fox News may lean
right there are entertainment shows on the regular Fox channel
(including cartoons
like The Simpsons and Family Guy) who might lean a bit left. (Though Seth
offered a guest shot to Limbaugh on Family Guy.) I guess one network
leaning right (and doing quite well in prime time, thank you) helps to
balance all the other ones who
lean left. (At least until they get forced off the air by
complaints--a network offering a different viewpoint? We can't have
that!)

--I don't seem to see too many conservative viewpoints in the Boston Phoenix,
though the Globe and Herald do have columnists who lean a certain way
(including the "other" way, like the Globe's Jeff Jacoby or the
Herald's Margery Eagan and Peter Gelzinis) . It's debatable as to
whether or not their news coverage is biased. Mr. Mindich, should the
government tell you to offer equal time to the Right? It's only...
"fair"...

--Where are the conservative voices on (partially taxpayer funded)
NPR? The day I hear
"the Tea Party Program" on NPR (that is, advocating conservative
positions) is the day
they might be seen as balanced. (But maybe they're appealing to their donors'
political opinions, as they do with taste of music..which explains why NPR-type
stations might run some folk, jazz, and classical but not punk or
alternative rock.)

Freedom of THE PRESS.