"It's the programming, stupid!"

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Jun 5 01:06:19 EDT 2012

<<On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 23:56:18 -0400, A Joseph Ross <joe@attorneyross.com> said:

> Does anyone actually have access to the ratings books?

I would bet that Sid does, since his job probably involves making sure
that his stations' sales and management can access them via their
private network.  (This stuff must all be hosted applications now,
right?  No need to actually print physical books in this day and
age....)  There are a few other industry pros on this list who
regularly work with ratings information.

But when those of you who have them reference the ratings, do check to
see what the margin of sampling error is.  The difference between
first and tenth place in your chosen demo may not actually be
statistically significant.  (I think we discussed before the sample
sizes for a market like Boston being on the order of a thousand, which
would make the margin of sampling error around 4% -- it will be larger
than that in every subsample.)

-GAWollman