equal time controversy

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Jun 4 22:42:26 EDT 2012

On 6/4/2012 10:33 PM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> The Wisconsin State Journal is owned by Lee Enterprises of Davenport,
> Iowa.  Lee includes the old Pulitzer newspapers among others, and went
> bankrupt in 2011.  I can't tell if the State Journal has taken an
> editorial position on the matter; they don't seem to have done so in
> the last 12 months.  (They did, on the other hand, take a stand
> against the cent and the dollar bill, our two most outmoded forms of
> currency.)

My friends in Madison (most of whom, unsurprisingly, lean left in their
politics) are largely of the opinion that the Wisconsin State Journal's
coverage, both on the editorial page and in the news pages, has leaned
pro-Walker.

There is (sort of) a second newspaper in Madison: the Capital Times was
a daily afternoon paper published under a joint operating agreement with
the WSJ until just a few years ago. If the WSJ leans right, the CT most
definitely leaned left.

When the CT's days as a daily print outlet ceased, it continued with
online news coverage and as two tabloid sections (one focused on arts
and entertainment, one on news and politics) inserted into the WSJ each
week.