equal time controversy

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Jun 4 22:33:53 EDT 2012

<<On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 21:51:03 -0400, "Paul Hopfgarten" <paul@derrynh.net> said:

> Who owns the Milwaukee Journal, for example?

Historically, The Milwaukee Journal was privately owned.  It was later
employee-owned, and now it is owned by a public company, Journal
Communications.  Journal Broadcast Group, the company's broadcasting
arm, in Wisconsin owns only the former WTMJ-AM/FM/TV cluster.  The
Journal Sentinel (as it is now) editorial board supports Walker,
saying that policy controversies, however deep, should not be grounds
for recalling a sitting governor.

> (I don't know the name of the Madison paper,

The Wisconsin State Journal is owned by Lee Enterprises of Davenport,
Iowa.  Lee includes the old Pulitzer newspapers among others, and went
bankrupt in 2011.  I can't tell if the State Journal has taken an
editorial position on the matter; they don't seem to have done so in
the last 12 months.  (They did, on the other hand, take a stand
against the cent and the dollar bill, our two most outmoded forms of
currency.)

-GAWollman