SatRad vs. Broadcast vs. DIY

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Mon Jun 4 12:07:07 EDT 2012

Sirium XM came installed in my car with a free 1-yr subscription.
About the only things I ever listen to are some of the produced-for-TV
cable channels.

I've tried to listen to the music channels, but it's like listening
to an automated station most of the time.  The DJs, when they have
them, sound voice-tracked.  There's no sense of currency.  Maybe the its
lack of a local stories or local weather forecast; there's just something
missing.

So while I still have access to these stations, most of the time I find
myself listening to broadcast.

The one major exception is when driving through areas like central NH
or rural PA, where it becomes annoying that the flea-power stations
they have in the smaller markets only last for 20 to 30 minutes at a
time.

When I'm not in the mood for commercials, I have a 4Gb USB stick that
plugs into a USB port on my dash.  Set the player to random and it
plays from a collection of 250+ tracks, all of which I like.  No DJs,
but no  bad songs either.  This is far superior than anything XM has
to offer.

Another problem with XM is the compression.  There just doesn't seem to
be as much "umph" to the sound.   The compression on the non-music
channels is even worse.

-Bob