Morning weather

Elliot Abrams elliotabrams@gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 19:22:46 EDT 2012

As the morning weather person on WBZ,  KYW,  (1/3 of the time) WINS), and
WBBM I find each market interesting and challenging. WBZ and KYW allow
enough time to bring in other related topics and PUNishment. What I
appreciate is that all the anchors I work with are in tune with how the
weather is affecting people that day, and this makes it easier to get right
into the day's weather story.

I have been using Twitter (accu_elliot), Facebook (Elliot Abrams Fan Page),
and have a daily blog and video on accuweather.com  (thank goodness for the
small screen in the video so I can get away with my great face for radio!).
I used to receive more user questions and interactions before CBS branding
took over the stations' web pages. I understand why that decision was made,
and assume it is working out for the stations involved.

While computer models keep improving and radar coverage and quality have
improved, I have found that Twitter and all the traffic and other web cams
have been very helpful. In the Buffalo area (for WBEN) it is great to see
how the winter snow looks on all the New York Thruway cams in that area. I
can really tell where the problems are more effectively than by using
official weather observations. With Twitter, there is a quality control /
accuracy issue, but it soon becomes apparent who is doing a great job.

As for music, my iPad has songs from 1958 to last week, and the videos are
great for keeping going on the elliptical trainer at the gym each day.
Nikki Minaj's "Starships",  Rihanna's (never sure I spell her name right)
"Where Have You Been" and Eric Church's "Springsteen" are my favorites this
week, and I find them to be just as good if not better than songs I love
from the 60s.