Jess Santos Departs; WWZN "The Zone" Returns

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Jul 27 13:14:23 EDT 2012

1330 has a very decent signal day and night within Route 128. They could
probably clear the time from 1:00AM to 5:00AM M-F. But days or evenings
would almost certainly be out. Beasley is apparently not averse to carrying
Progressive talk--provided they get paid. They have been doing it for the
last few months on their WWDB (AM) 860 in Philadelphia, a 10 kW directional
daytimer that covers the Philadelphia market quite well--but (obviously)
only in the daytime.

Here is my speculation: The Dial Global lineup of Progressive talkers will
resurface on WWZN. However, neither Jeff Santos nor his Revolution Boston
operation will be included, thank goodness. I think D-G will cut a deal
directly with the owners of WWZN. Those folks may build a studio at the
station's Waltham Tx site. I'm pretty sure that Santos had been trading out
commercials for the rent at Marina Bay, but that deal had apparently ended
and the real estate folks must have wanted real money, which Santos didn't
have. A studio in the Waltham building will be mininmal and not very
pleasant but it will help to hold down costs. If WWZN still uses the
1980s-era transmitter that I saw 25 years or so ago, a big problem will be
the roar of the fans that cool the transmitter.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367