How long before this happens?

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 08:56:15 EDT 2012

Also the AM 740 in Toronto is called Zoomer radio and says they cater
to "active baby boomers"

With regards to retirement homes we've mentioned a service called
Companion Radio that offers different channels and is used in rest
homes, assisted living, etc. When I go by Blueberry Hill health care
in Beverly I can pick it up briefly on 98.9; at the facility where my
Dad used to live, Brightview in Danvers (he has since moved to a rest
home in Nahant) they offer a channel at 90.7 which again you can pick
up if you pass by them, briefly. Of course these stations tend to run
stuff from the 40s--for people like my dad who is now 91, rather than
stuff from the 50s-60s etc. I think places like Brightview might cater
to some who are a bit younger, maybe in their 70s and maybe their
tastes are factored in, though...I think I caught a snippet of one
show playing folk from the early 60s...

For perspective, John, Paul, George and RIngo were all born in the
early 40s. Two are now deceased but their birth dates are 1940, 42,
and 43. Sir Paul turned 70 this year...and if George were with us he'd
turn 70 next year. Time marches on. As I noted when WODS
flipped, the day before the flip one of their songs was I Wanna Hold
Your Hand and I
thought, I'm 50 and that song came out when I was 2. If you were, say,
born in 1952
(like Howie Carr), that song came out when you are 12, and you are now 60.

And in radio demos, even 50 yr olds like me aren't quite
prized.Admittedly WODS had also played music from the 70s and 80s, but
the fact that they still played one act who debuted 48 years ago on
the American music charts showed maybe it was time to update the music
mix. (And I wondered if, say, an oldies station in 1990 would have
been playing a song from 1942...no, I don't think WODS at the time
would have played Glenn Miller...Wikipedia says among the #1 hits of
1942, the year Paul McCartney was born,
were Miller's "Chattanooga Choo Choo", "Moonlight Cocktail", and
"Kalamazoo", none of which I recall hearing on what was then Oldies
103 in 1990 :)