Boston-Radio-Interest Digest, Vol 16, Issue 160

Attorney Chase attychase@comcast.net
Mon Jul 9 13:42:27 EDT 2012

I suppose your right, otherwise Reagan wouldn't have been able to do his simulated announcing of ballgames although that probably happened before War of the Worlds. There was an "announcer" for the Brooklyn Dodgers who did the same thing from a radio studio in Washington DC. Nathan Matthew "Nat" Allbright (November 26, 1923 - July 18, 2011) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Allbright

Although the police seized all but one of the scripts after the War of the Worlds broadcast as "evidence of a crime" apparently no one was charged. I'll bet with some of the harassment and other laws extant today some DA would try to expand the envelope and bring some type of charges if the same type of thing as War of the Worlds happened today. Not saying it would pass muster under the 1st Amendment, just saying some DA would at least try it.