Did WBZ-TV cross the line on July 4th concerning public safety?

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 02:42:39 EDT 2012

As many of you know I was working the 4th of July at the Hatch Shell.

At 9:30 the State Police gave the order to evacuate because of a possible
major thunderstorm.

I have just finished watching the DVR of the local broadcast on channel 4
and it is painfully obvious that Jack Williams and Lisa Hughes were very
uncomfortable leading viewers into the sing-a-long that never happened on
the 4th ( they went to tape from the rehearsal ) - Ten minutes later they
finally admitted what was going on.

I have been told that WBZ-AM also misled listeners but WGBH-FM did not.

At 10 PM - the CBS national feed was taped until Jennifer Hudson's second
number and then everything was live but the national feed did not really
mention the drama at the shell.

I believe that WBZ-TV at 9:30 should have told New York we are now handling
this like a news story.

Thoughts?