[B-R-I] Re: Challenger explodes-January 28, 1986

Kaimbridge M. GoldChild Kaimbridge@gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 11:12:34 EST 2012

It was my first day interning at WMJX/WMEX (then at 330 Stuart
St), in the production department under Peter Fenstermacher
(IIRC, Peter Smyth was still just head of the sales dept.), and I
was inquiring about “where was the newsroom, again?” (it was
literally a closet! P=).  Lana Jones and Rod Fritz (I *think* he
was already there by then) were in the news dept. (I don't
remember if it was Rod or someone else anchoring that morning),
when someone came rushing through, "Everyone out of the newsroom
area, the Challenger just exploded!".
I remember all of the station secretaries were standing around,
glued to the TV monitor (I think CBS was on with live coverage).
One of the things that stand out in memory of that day was
heading home that afternoon at South Station (taking the train
back to Dean Jr. College in Franklin) around 5pm and seeing a
special edition of the Globe scattered all over the (old) South
Station train lobby (back when The Big Dig was just starting to
make a mess over there!).

      ~Kaimbridge~

-----
      Wikipedia—Contributor Home Page: