Happy 30th Birthday WMJX (Magic 106.7)

Don Donald_Astelle@yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 01:52:39 EST 2012

> Would WMJX have survived 30 years had
> CBS not blown up WEEI-FM?  I think
> not.

WEEI-FM was a station a lot of people felt passionately about.  Talented
staff (who left to go onto other things), great imagery, cool, creative and
hip...and while they may have had a couple of "pretty good books"....they
were never taking the market by storm.

They probably made money for CBS...as they ran it on the cheap.

However, the format was dumped because WMJX came on and took all their
ratings away.

WEEI was focused on a niche audience and played a lot of unknown
titles....while WMJX did a lot of research, and focused on playing people's
favorite soft rock songs.  More of a mass-appeal soft-rock station.

WEEI-FM while enjoyed by many....could not survive as a soft-rock station
against a station that research and marketed itself as well as WMJX did.

I think WSSH was more of a "vocal based AC"...Magic was never a Beautiful
Music station.