Old oil companies

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Mon Feb 27 10:40:11 EST 2012

On Feb 27, 2012, at 7:54 AM, Maureen Carney wrote:

> I seem to remember Amoco becoming American in Massachusetts as well at some point.  I thought that it was American Oil Company.

I seem to remember that where I grew up on Long Island, NY it first was Amoco, then became American, and then went back to Amoco, prior to being purchased by BP.  I believe they left New England several years before the sale to BP.

But I do know that for some time the remaining BP stations in other parts of the country had signs that read “BP, Selling Amoco Fuels”.  They dropped the part about Amoco fuels sometime before they re-entered the New England market several years ago by purchasing Getty, which by that time was owned by Russian company Lukoil.

What I also have noticed is that while there used to be lots of radio and TV commercials for the oil companies, now there are very few, and most that remain are for the corporate image rather than for the product.

Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH