WHDH-TV Weather 1959

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Feb 26 08:51:31 EST 2012

Before it was on TV, the Esso Reporter was a fixture on radio in the
late '30s and early '40s. IIRC, the five-minute news program was heard
three times daily (AM drive, midday, and PM drive) on one station in
each of a small number of major markets. I am pretty sure that the
program was voiced locally at each station that carried it. That is,
it was not delivered to the stations by network feed. I think that the
Esso Reporter was on WJZ in New York City, WBZ in Boston, and WEAN in
Providence. I don't remember whether or not the program was carried in
Hartford. If it was, it was probably on WTIC. I don't think any
station in northern New England carried it. Not sure about
Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Richmond, or Norfolk, but for some crazy
reason, ISTR that it was on in Norfolk--on WTAR. I could be imagining
something that never happened, though. The reason that I remember (or
am imagining) as much as I am/do is that Esso roadmaps (remember
roadmaps?)  listed stations and air times for the program in markets
located within the region that each map covered.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Hall" <chris2526@comcast.net>
To: <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2012 1:18 AM
Subject: WHDH-TV Weather 1959

When my brothers and I are taking a trip down memory lane, riding in
the car with my father always comes up along with the Red Sox on WHDH
85 AM and 94.5 FM(I never dreamed during those day that I would later
work at both of them) and the Atlantic jingle “Atlantic keeps your car
on the go- go- go- go keep on the go with Atlantic” along with Tommy
Dorsey, Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller before and after the game.
There are certain songs that immediately put me in the front seat of
our 1960 Chevy station wagon, music memories are very powerful.
Also any one out there remember Arch MacDonald as “Your ESSO Reporter”
on WBZ-TV:
More people the whole world over like the products and service they
find at the E-S-S-O yes sir ESSO at the ESSO sign!