While wandering through the Upper Midwest.

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psualum.com
Tue Feb 21 20:27:43 EST 2012

Paul Walker wrote:
>A few years ago, I worked for a 5000 Watt AM Stereo Station in Western
>North Dakota that could be heard in all of Western North Dakota from
>Minot/Bismarck and could be heard in small chunks of NW South Dakota, NE
>Wyoming, about 1/3rd of Montana along with hitting two Canadian
>provinces... BY DAY.
>
>At night, this thing pounded into Regina so I'm told.
>
>We had regular listeners 100-150 miles away whod listen on walkmans while
>working in the field on their tractor. We had another listener who came
>from 180 miles away to pick up a prize they'd won.
>
>No, I wasn't at K-Fire 550.

I remember K-Fire giving forecasts for parts of at least five states (the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming and Nebraska, IIRC).

And as Kevin said, eastern Montana is indeed rural (as is Wyoming). Did my cross-country I-90 drive back in 2000. Fifty miles between some exits. Almost all of the stations I heard were off the bird.