Should WSMN-AM's CP Have Expired By Now?

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Dec 31 09:00:05 EST 2012

As I understand it, an AM that fails to construct a CP before the CP expires
has two options: 1) have the CP tolled or 2) have the CP cancelled and apply
for a new CP with the same facilities specified in the expired CP. Tolling
can be granted if an applicant can demonstrate to the FCC's satisfaction
that construction was not completed for reasons beyond the permittee's
control. Tolling, in essence, resets the clock to a time prior to expiration
of the CP and then stops the clock. I believe (but do not know for sure)
that WSMN's current STA (diplexed with WGHM) specifies a daytime power lower
than 250W with an antenna of minimum Class D AM efficiency. IOW, the
inverse-distance (ID) field must exceed 141.85 mV/m @ 1 km. If that value
cannot be exceeded without causing prohibited overlap with another station,
then WSMN would not be eligible for a license to operate as a ND Class D AM.
Also, WSMN's daytime 5 mV/m contour must cover an area in which live at
least 80% of the citizens of Nashua.

If any of this is incorrect, Scott Fybush or someone else with appropriate
credentials will almost surely correct me.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367