TV political ad question

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Aug 3 17:06:19 EDT 2012

On 8/3/2012 4:43 PM, Bill O'Neill wrote:

> Objectivity is in the eye of the beholder.  Even a journalist who is
> known to be quite balanced can evidence a bias by the simple nature of
> the subjects and people booked by the journalist.  The questions NOT
> posed can shed light on bias.  The follow-up pattern to responses can
> be, likewise, revelatory.

True that.  Even in the "good old days," the networks all relied on
"official sources"-- usually from the government, and the reporters
tended to be deferential to big business CEOs (the so-called "Captains
of Industry").  The myth that the media spoke truth to power is a
durable one, but not always accurate.  I just reviewed a very
interesting media history text called "Mightier than the Sword" (3rd
edition) by Rodger Streitmatter, and while I don't agree with every
conclusion he makes, he shows very eloquently that throughout history,
the mainstream press were sometimes on the "wrong side" of issues
(defending segregation or praising the KKK for example or promoted the
views of their owner (in the era of "yellow journalism," when Hearst
wanted a war, his newspapers made sure that they advocated for ... and
got... a war).  How a story is reported is not always about liberal or
conservative bias.  It's often about assumptions-- I know first-hand how
the women's movement was misrepresented as a bunch of man-hating
bra-burners (oh and supposedly, we were all lesbians, which will come as
a shock to my husband, to whom I've been married for 25 years).  But I
was there and believe me, no bras were burned (another durable myth); in
fact, most of the people I demonstrated with cared more about equal pay
and equal opportunity than about hating anyone -- what we hated was
being paid less or being talked to like we were five years old. Yet that
was not how the older guys in the media reported on the story, all the
while claiming to be objective.