Can WBCN lead listeners to buy HD radio?

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Tue Apr 17 07:45:00 EDT 2012

>Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:46:10 -0400
>From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@mail.com>
><boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>
>Subject: Can WBCN lead listeners to buy HD radio?

This station does have some listenership, but very
few are listening on HD radios. Most are listening
to its online stream at http://www.wbcn.com (the
leftmost silver link that says "WBCN Free Form", NOT
the "WBCN The Rock of Boston" link) on computers and
various portable digital devices, iPhones, etc... I
listen on HD radio, but very few others do.

> Sounds like a niche format for many nostalgic for
> the old 'BCN

Not nostalgia, the station plays at least as much
new music and recent releases as older music that
spans WBCN's on-air years from the late '60s to
the 2000's. Sam Kopper truly wants to make it a
contemporary version of WBCN, and he adamantly
keeps repeating "this is not a nostalgia trip".

In fact, many listeners who I've spoken to (in my
older than prime sponsorship demographic) tell me
that they're disappointed that it isn't focused
on more music from WBCN's late '60s/'70s heyday.

> I wonder if they could promote this on WZLX.
> Maybe they are...

I have heard brief spots for it on WZLX, as well
as for WZLX HD2, which is Carter Alan's automated
blues/blues-rock channel "Radio Mojo".

Eli Polonsky