R.I.P Steve Fredericks

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed Apr 11 17:08:00 EDT 2012

it was asked--
>> Isn't leaving historic icon WCAU...to go to Mac Richmond's WMEX for
>> a late night talk show a step down?

Actually no, back then.  Mac had come from Philly, where he ran an ad
agency (with offices in DC as well, if I recall correctly); it was while
in Philly that he heard and later recruited Jerry Williams; and Mac
still had a lot of contacts in that area of the country.  Working at
WMEX was still seen as a good career move because being a talk host in
Boston was very high-visibility, and usually got you lots of publicity.
And while I am not accusing the late Mr Fredericks of anything, Dan is
correct in mentioning being clean and sober.  Some career moves were
fueled by needing to get out of a market and start again somewhere else,
often as a result of drug or alcohol problems.  It was the industry's
dirty little secret and few discussed it.